16 Jan “How do I find a good lawyer?”
Your legal advisor is a very important part of your Divorce Support Team so take your time to find the right match for you and your case.
- You need to look for someone who has a good reputation and specialises in family law.
- If you can get a recommendation that is always good, although bear in mind that every divorce is different.
- If you have an amicable divorce you may be better off avoiding a lawyer who is known for fighting hard in court. It could give the wrong impression to your ex.
- Choose someone you get on with as you will have to share personal details with them. It’s a good idea to decide whether you would feel more comfortable with a male or female lawyer.
- Meet with a few different lawyers and don’t be afraid to ask them difficult questions as you need to be sure you have made the right choice.
Take your time deciding on your lawyer as it will be expensive to change half way through your case. It can be tempting to rush in at this stage to get things moving, but it’s is worth taking your time to investigate your options carefully so you start out in the best possible direction for you and your children.